Saturday, February 22, 2014

Whole Wheat Blueberry Mango Scones

As I was browsing Pinterest today, I saw a picture of blueberry scones and was like mmmmm I want to make some scones now. I already have a recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Scones that I know I already love and although I like to try new things, if I have something I love I prefer to keep the same base. That's exactly what I did. Instead of nuts, chocolate and bananas, I used blueberries, dried mango and some milk(because the bananas added moisture). The best part is that there's only 1/4 cup of sugar in the whole batch! When they were finished baking and spreading the delicious aroma all throughout the house...Gotta admit...yea, I'm amazed haha. I only made half a batch for the simple fact that I knew I would be tempted to eat them all up at once. But I will definitely be making a normal batch next time. The following recipe is for a full batch.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats, ground in food processor
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup golden milled flax
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter(1/2 stick), cold
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup almond milk (any kind of milk will work)
  • 1 cup blueberries (I used frozen and then stuck them in the food processor to make them into little chunks)
  • 3/4 cup chopped dried mango (fresh mango would probably be even better, if you use fresh, I would use half to none of the milk depending on how juicy the mango is)
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Grease 2-8in cake pans and set aside
  • Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium/large bowl
  • Cut in the butter and coconut oil
  • Stir in the mango pieces
  • In a small bowl, combine the egg, yogurt, milk, blueberries and vanilla 
  • Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until all is moistened 
  • Place half of the dough in each of the cake pans and spread out to make an even layer
  • Using a knife, cut into about 8 triangles
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
  • Let the scones cool 10-15 minutes in the pan before removing. You will have to recut where you originally cut the scones.
  • Enjoy warm or room temp :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment