Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Mango Coconut Overnight Oatmeal

I have been up since 5am this morning. Pre-workout breakfast consisted of 2 small quinoa trail mix balls which was just enough energy that I needed to bike up to the gym. For the first time, I was the very first person there before the gym opened. The whole reason for my early wakeness was the 615am spin class I was gonna take. A sopping wet shirt and spandex, 17 miles and 45 minutes later, I had gotten a pretty good workout in. Then I was feeling pretty good and decided to stick around for a little bit and get some core in which wasnt much other than some stability ball work, planks and roman chair exercises. But nonetheless good. I will be doing a short upper body workout tonight when I go to the gym to train my client, but thats for later. So as you can imagine, I get home and im STARVING! According to my spin bike, I burned close to 900 calories! Now I dont necessarily believe that, but even if its a few hundred off, thats still a lot of calories. So it was time to replenish them. Good thing I was thinking ahead last night before bed. I made up a mix of my overnight oatmeal :) I dont really measure so Ill give guestimates :)

Mango Coconut Overnight Oatmeal

1/2 mango(diced up)
1/4 cup coconut(sweet or unsweet)
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1/3 cup plain greek yogurt(I like Fage)
1/2 cup milk of choice(I used soy milk or coconut milk)
1/2-3/4 cup old fashion oats
Agave, honey, splenda or any other sweetener of choice if you want, but if the mango is ripe enough you dont really need it

Put all ingredients in a tupperware container or in a mason jar(I switch back and forth between the two) and mix it all up. Put it in the fridge overnight and when you wake up in the morning, voila! You have amazingness already made up.

**Note: add more or less of any of the ingredients to get the right consistency, you might need to play around with it a few times but it still tastes the same whether its thick or thin. But when you make it, it should be borderline soupy, you want enough liquid for the oats and chia seeds to absorb.

I love this so much and its so easy. Since I use half a mango I put the other half in another container so that I can make it the next night or in a day or two. Ive also added nuts and other dried fruits and they've always turned out great. So feel free to experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment