Do you like vegetable lasagna AND meat lasagna and hate having to choose between the two?
Then this is the lasagna for you! And the word is ULTIMATE. It's got it all, meat, veggies, cheese, no boiled noodles. Couldn't be more perfect.
This was my own little concoction for lasagna and boy do I hate to gloat, but I will probably never make anything different now haha, except maybe making it with a few less veggies for Ray since he likes just meat lasagna better. But regardless, this lasagna is "da bomb diggity" haha no other way to describe it.
It was super easy to make and the best part is that I didnt have to boil those stupid noodles. The plan was to make it and freeze it up in individual containers so that we'll have some later on when we want it. Well, that still happened....after Ray and I ate 2 servings each haha.
Alright, here's the ULTIMATE recipe. (Feel free to change the veggies and the amounts of veggies as I used what I had on hand)
Ingredients:For the Sauce:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup yellow onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1(28oz) and 1(8oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
(I placed the veggies in my mini food chopper to chop them all up)
- 6 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- 6 oz frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained well
- 1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2-3/4 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 10 uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
- Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 deg
- Brown the beef in a deep skillet, then add the onions and garlic and allow to cook about 5 minutes until onions and garlic are browned and becoming translucent
- Pour in the sauce and add the spices and allow to come to a light boil, remove from heat and set aside
- In a separate small bowl, mix all the cheese layer ingredients, set aside
- In a large bowl, mix together all the chopped veggies
- Grease a 9x13 glass baking dish and spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom. Layer 5 of the lasagna noodles (4 are lengthwise and the 5th one you might have to break off an inch or two to fit horizontally)
- Spread half the cheese mixture down on the noodles followed by half the veggies and half the sauce.
- Layer the last 5 noodles followed by cheese, veggies and meat sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 50 minutes.
- After 50 minutes, remove the foil and sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Place back in oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow the lasagna to sit for 10-15 minutes to set before eating.
- Then, try your hardest not to eat the whole pan in one sitting :)