Saturday, March 9, 2013

Raw Carrot Cake with Cashew Vanilla Frosting

Raw Carrot Cake | gimmesomeoven.com


I found this recipe on gimmesomeoven, and at first I wasnt sure if I was going to like it, but after trying it, Im not sure that I ever want 'real' carrot cake again! This stuff is sooooo good! and its perfect for satisfying my sweet tooth. I put them in individual  1/2 cup tupperware dishes so they were already portioned out for me to eat after lunch or dinner as a sweet snack, and yet theyre perfectly and deliciously healthy :)

Ingredients
    Raw Carrot Cake Ingredients:
  • 3 cups shredded carrots (about 1 lb.)
  • 8 oz. (about 1 cup) pitted dates
  • 1 cup raw walnuts
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • pinch of salt
  • (optional) 1/2 cup raisins 
  • Raw Cashew Vanilla Frosting Ingredients:
  • 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight (I actually put my cashews in water and heated them in the microwave to soften them up because I didnt want to wait so long)
  • 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1/3 cup water (use more or less to achieve desired consistency)
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • pinch of salt
Directions

To make the carrot cake: mix all ingredients together in a food processor and then press into either cake pan, muffin tins, or in our case, tupperware containers.

To make the frosting: mix all ingredients together in a food processor. Add a little bit of water at a time and if you find that youve added too much, just microwave for 10-20 seconds at a time so that the water evaporates and the frosting thickens up. Youll want to refridgerate the frosting to cool it down first before you put it on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment